A RUMUL GIGAFORTE 1000 Hz machine, the first EMR type 1000 Hz machine in Asia, has been installed at IIT Madras by engineers of RUMUL and ABS Instruments Pvt. Ltd.
The GIGAFORTE from RUMUL operates at a testing frequency of 1000 Hz and has a control loop update rate of 25 kHz, amongst the highest for fatigue testing machines. Some of the special features of this machine include the following:
- Testing frequency: ranges from 970 Hz to 1040 Hz.
- Maximum force: 50 kN
- Samples up to M-27 at the grips as well as flat samples can be tested, allowing larger sized samples and samples of various dimensions to be tested
- The machine has a very small footprint and does not require hydraulic and associated systems
- True force, displacement, stress and acceleration control are possible
- Induction heating systems are available with the machine for testing at higher temperatures
- 100 Million Cycles a day
The machine at IIT Madras will primarily be used for studying various kinds of steels and weldings. While on the subject, it would also be pertinent to mention that even Fiber Reinforced Composites have been tested on the GIGAFORTE. Apart from these, the GIGAFORTE also provides quick fatigue testing turnaround times for additive manufactured components, prototypes of which can generally be produced rapidly.